John made these delicious Baked Beans for the Rib Throw Down. I asked him for the recipe which he generously shared along with the photograph. There are four different beans in this recipe adding to the rich flavor and texture. Ummm good!
Serves: 10 to 12 servings
Level: Easy Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min to 2 hrs.
• 1/2 pound bacon, minced
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 green pepper, diced
• 1 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1 (16-ounce) cans kidney beans, drain ½ the bean juice
• 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drain ½ the bean juice
• 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drain ½ the bean juice
• 1 (16-ounce) can white beans, drain ½ the bean juice
• 1 cup BBQ Sauce
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 shot of tequila
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large sauté pan, cook bacon over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Add onions, garlic, ginger, and green pepper and cook until soft. Add dry mustard and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the beans, BBQ sauce, molasses, brown sugar, and tequila. Stir and simmer on stove for 2 hours (or bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour). For less soupy beans, simmer longer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Photo courtesy of JM.